3 Sept 2021
13 Jun 2022
Carr & Co. (1850s), Joseph Laycock & Co. (1860s), Seghill Colliery Ltd. (1940s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
This is the site of a 19th century colliery. It is shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map published in 1865. The site also had a brickworks which used mined fireclay to produce the likes of firebricks and other sanitary wares. The mined coal would be used to fuel the many kilns on the site.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Seghill Colliery, 1925. Source: Suscram
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Site of Seghill Colliery looking westwards. What look like 2 concrete capped shafts can be seen in the field, as well as a related colliery building.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by