3 Sept 2021
5 Sept 2021
Cookson, Cuthberts & Liddell (1850s), Mickley Coal Co. (1880s -)
Description (or HER record listing)
The 1865 Ordnance Survey map of this site shows Mickley Colliery. Mickley Moor Colliery was won in November 1765 (ie the coal was reached in the drift) and the colliery opened in May 1766. The first pit was called Bella. The colliery was linked to staiths at Stella by a waggonway. A later 18th century plan of the colliery shows workings extending over a distance of some 11 miles east-west, with probably 16 working pits and some 20 which were then disused. Steam came to the colliery in 1774, when an old engine was bought to be set up at Spindle Bush. The colliery seems to have continued to work up to 1781.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by