top of page
full size.png

mahi01f

Wood Houses, coal shaft

Marley Hill

54.908344, -1.691086

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

pre-1857

Entry Created:

26 May 2023

Last Updated:

26 May 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal shaft was situated just north of the footpath between Wood Houses and Marley Hill, and was active before 1857. The shaft was covered over or capped before the 1890s, likely to allow ploughing or for general agricultural use. There is no trace of the shaft above ground today.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page