top of page
full size.png

mahi01b

Wood Houses, coal shaft

Marley Hill

54.907477, -1.691576

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

pre-1890s

Entry Created:

26 May 2023

Last Updated:

26 May 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - This shaft was located along the footpath from Wood Houses to Marley Hill, and was still active after the 1850s. It is illustrated as old by the 1890s, meaning it came out of use. The shaft is visible (just) on aerial imagery from 1945, and earthworks are still evident at the site. Wood Houses has also since been demolished.

Ordnance Survey, 1862

Ordnance Survey, 1862

The site can be seen on the footpath running diagonally north east. It shows as a small speck, which was likely the extant shaft. Source: Google Earth

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page