top of page
full size.png

mahi01a

Wood Houses, coal shaft

Marley Hill

54.905749, -1.691156

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

pre-1862

Entry Created:

26 May 2023

Last Updated:

26 May 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A shaft was located between Fortune Hill and Wood Houses that was active before 1862, and had disappeared by the 1890s. It was probably capped or covered over for ploughing. The shaft is one of dozens in the area which may have been interconnected. It is not visible on any aerial imagery.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page