full size.png

m002b

Malton Colliery

Lanchester

54.807807, -1.716501

Opened:

1870

Closed:

1961

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

21 Jul 2022

Owners: 

Love & Son (1880s), Sir S. A. Sadler Ltd. (1890s), National Coal Board (1960s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

"At Malton, coal has also been wrought since 1870, the Malton being in that year opened by Mr. G. Love. It is now worked by S. A. Sadler, Esq., of Middlesbrough. The Harvey, Brockwell, and Busty seams are met here, and worked by drifts, the thickness of the seams ranging from two to four feet. Patent ovens and other important improvements are rapidly developing, and ere long this colliery will employ a large number of men."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0