top of page
full size.png

l014b

Lintz Colliery

Dipton

54.889298, -1.752185

Esther Pit

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

20th c

Entry Created:

12 Sept 2022

Last Updated:

12 Sept 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Messrs. McLean & Prior (1855), John Shield Esq. (1889), South Garesfield Colliery Co. Ltd. (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A small working named Esther Pit stood on the edge of Hill Top village, connected by railway to Lintz Colliery and the NER Consett Branch. The working was modest - a small shaft, winding house and auxiliary building formed the site along with two sidings to transport coal. It was connected by footpath to the road between Hill Top and Mountsett. The colliery appears on the 1890s maps and is shown disused by the late 1910s.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page