12 Sept 2022
12 Sept 2022
Messrs. McLean & Prior (1855), John Shield Esq. (1889), South Garesfield Colliery Co. Ltd. (1890s)
Description (or HER record listing)
"Lintz colliery was first opened in 1855 by Messrs. McLean & Prior, and was continued by the former gentlemen till about 1885, when it was laid in. In 1889 it was reopened by John Shield, Esq., and is at present working the Main Coal seam, 3 feet 3 inches thick, at a depth of 20 fathoms ; the Busty Bank 8 feet thick, having a two feet band of excellent fire clay in the centre, this seam being 60 fathoms. The Three Quarter, 2 feet 8 inches, is met a depth of 67 fathoms ; and the Brockwell, 2 feet 9 inches, is 75 fathoms. Whilst sinking over the Forty Fathom dyke, which was by many engineers believed to be a "dipper,;" but which, as the present manager expected, turned out to be a "riser," coal was discovered. This dyke raises the seam to a considerable height from its proper level for about 200 yards, and the strata which intervenes under the "riser" contains three seams of coal. The coal in this neighbourhood is peculiarly well adapted for coking, as it is remarkably free from sulphur. This colliery is worked by two shafts, and has an annual output of about 83,700 tons, giving employment to 260 men and boys."
Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by