top of page
full size.png

l012a

Linton Colliery

Ellington

55.215994, -1.590307

Opened:

Closed:

1894

1968

Entry Created:

29 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

29 Jul 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Ashington Coal Co. (1894), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

"This colliery is just over a mile to the west of Ellington. The seams working are the High Main, the Yard, the Five Quarter and the Low Main. The Yard seam is encountered at a depth of 360 ft. in the shaft and is about 200 ft. below the High Main; while the Five Quarter seam is nearly 160 ft. below the Yard and approximately 25 ft. above the Low Main."

Colliery Engineering Magazine via Durham Mining Museum

NEHL - Linton Colliery was a large working west of Lynemouth. Typical of Northumberland Collieries, a substantial village of terraces formed around the colliery to accommodate workers and their families. Linton Colliery was connected by railway to Ashington and the Blyth & Tyne.

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Linton Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Linton Colliery, undated. Unknown Source.

Linton Colliery, undated. Unknown Source.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page