top of page
full size.png

k004a

Kimblesworth Colliery

Kimblesworth

54.816069, -1.596129

No. 1 Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1873

1967

Entry Created:

26 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

26 Jul 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Charlaw & Sacriston Coal Co. (1873), National Coal Board (1947 - 1967)

Description (or HER record listing)

"The Nettlesworth and Kimblesworth collieries are carried on by the above firm [Messrs. Hunter and Elliott], the former in Plawsworth township, and the latter in that of Kimblesworth. Here are worked the "Five Quarters," 3 ft. at 14 fathoms, at Nettlesworth ; "Main Coal," 3 to 4 ft. at 26 fathoms , at Nettlesworth, and worked by a drift at Kimblesworth ; "Low Main," 2 to 3ft., 54 fathoms, at Nettlesworth, and about 26 at Kimblesworth ; "Hutton," from 2 ft. 4 in. to 3 ft. 6 in., at 66 fathoms, Nettlesworth, and 38 at Kimblesworth. The Busty is not yet won at these pits. The average daily output is 400 tons per Nettlesworth, and 1000 tons at Kimblesworth, and the numbers employed are 250 and 600 respectively. The coal, which is principally shipped at Tyne Dock, is known in the market by the name of "West Leverson Wallsend.""

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page