top of page
full size.png

hou01a

Houghall Colliery

Durham

54.759316, -1.564314

Opened:

Closed:

1840

1880s

Entry Created:

17 Oct 2022

Last Updated:

17 Oct 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Elvet Coal Co. (1840s), Joseph H. Love & Partners (1860s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A colliery was situated at the Houghall estate for a number of decades in the 19th century. Boring and testing operations started in the 1840s and the Elvet Coal Company commenced formal mining soon after. Coal from Houghall was shipped from 1842. The pit closed around the 1880s and is shown as disused on the 1890s maps.

The colliery was connected to the North Eastern Railway via a single track waggonway from Whitwell (some of this railway is still visible on satellite imagery).

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page