full size.png

hex01a

Acomb Colliery

Acomb nr Hexham

54.989154, -2.117946

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

1952

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

10 Jun 2022

Owners: 

Messrs. Stobart & Co. (1840s), J. Morrison & Co. (1860s), Messrs. Morrison (1880s), Tynedale Coal Co. Ltd. (1910s), Acomb Coal Co. Ltd. (1920s), National Coal Board (1947)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

NEHL - Mining at Acomb seemed to stop and start between the mid 19th century until 1909, when a larger complex opened until 1952. There were disused coal ovens up until this point in the area.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0