top of page
full size.png

h037a

Heddon Colliery

Heddon

54.988750, -1.780817

Margaret Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1764

Entry Created:

16 Mar 2022

Last Updated:

16 Mar 2022

Partly Preserved

Condition:

Owners: 

Thomas Bates (1860s), Heddon Coal & Fire Brick Co. (1880s), Throckley Coal Co. Ltd. (1900s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"The last deep mine to be worked in Heddon was the Margaret Pit. It was situated about one kilometre to the south-east of the village, in the valley bottom. This was originally owned and on the property of the family of Cadwallader J Bates. It supplied coal to the village and also coal and clay to the 'Heddon Colliery and Fire Brick Works' located on Newcastle's Quayside. The Margaret Pit was both a deep mine and a drift mine, with drift workings going back into the hillside. In 1855, Barras & Co. were firebrick manufacturers at Heddon Brick Works, managed by John Brown (Whellan 1855) , Fenwick Charlton was the Pit Engineer in 1886, and a man called, Heddon Robert, a brick maker at the local brick works."

- http://heddonhistory.weebly.com/coal-mining.html

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Aerial view of Margaret Pit with the preserved slag heap visible.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Second close-up perspective of the pit, which was adjacent to the Fire Brick Works and various other coal shafts.

Second close-up perspective of the pit, which was adjacent to the Fire Brick Works and various other coal shafts.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page