top of page
full size.png

h003a

West Pelton Colliery

West Pelton

54.868276, -1.638074

Handenhold Colliery

Handenhold Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1860

1968

Entry Created:

31 May 2022

Last Updated:

31 May 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Sir James Joicey & Co. Ltd. (1860), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. (1940s), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

This parish [West Pelton] participates in the extensive mining industry of the neighbourhood, the royalties being worked by Sir James Joicey & Co., Limited. At the Hand-in-Hold pit the Low Main seam is worked, at a depth of 54 fathoms, 3 feet 4 inches in thickness ; the Hutton seam, 63 fathoms, 4 feet 6 inches, with an average output of 650 tons per day, giving employment to 270 men and boys.

- Extract from Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham, retrieved from Durham Mining Museum

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Handenhold Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Handenhold Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Handenhold Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page