top of page
full size.png

ferr02a

Windlestone Colliery

Ferryhill

54.660179, -1.555409

Opened:

Closed:

1874

1924

Entry Created:

20 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

20 Jun 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Pease & Partners Ltd. (1880s), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Coal was formerly worked in this township [Chilton], but is not worked at present. The Windlestone pit was laid in 1874 ; and the Little Chilton colliery has long since been exhausted.

Windlestone Colliery is a village at the southern extremity of the township, which has become almost deserted, owing to Messrs. Pease and Partners closing the pit in 1874. It is close to Chilton Buildings, and about two miles south of Ferryhill."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Windlestone Colliery, undated. Unknown Source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page