31 Oct 2022
31 Oct 2022
North Bitchburn Coal Co. (1893), Pease & Partners Ltd. (1927), Randolph Coal Co. Ltd. (1933), National Coal Board (1947)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - Randolph Colliery dominated the village of Evenwood for 7 centuries. It was at the south east of the settlement, utilising 2 shafts and connected to the Haggerleases Branch of the North Eastern Railway. There were fairly large coke ovens and a large slag heap on the east of the site.
At its greatest extent over 1,000 people worked at the pit, likely a substantial percentage of the village's population. By closure, over 200 people lost their job.
The site is now owned by a recovery service.
Ordnance Survey, 1921
Evenwood Colliery looking north, undated. Source: thefallenservicementofsouthwestcountydurham.com
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Colourised view of Randolph Colliery, undated. Unknown Source.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by