top of page
full size.png

els03b

Elswick, Sanderson's Pit

Elswick

54.965373, -1.641772

Opened:

Closed:

c1720s

Unknown

Entry Created:

4 Jun 2024

Last Updated:

4 Jun 2024

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Benwell and Elswick were a coal mining centre in the 17th and 18th century. Pits were strewn across the valley down to the Tyne, and the Benwell Colliery were the clear benefactors of mechanisation and intensive mining practices.

In the 1720s, there was a clear coordination and modernisation of colliery workings, with water powered machinery and connections between the smaller pits. At this time also they were flourishing, with up to 17,000 chaldrons of coal vended from Benwell staith in 1709 with a steady increase over the decade prior. By this time pits were linked by "coal ways" - avenues specifically maintained to transport coal to and from the staiths. The main staith was the Meadow Heads Staith which was opposite the east of Kings Meadow Island, situated on what would now be Amethyst Road at the old Armstrong Works.

Sanderson's Pit, likely operated by a Mr Sanderson was one of many workings in this area which utilised the "old coal way" between the river and Elswick Lane. This would indicate its a working probably from the 17th century. Little other information is provided except from its location on a plan of Benwell Colliery pits in 1720.

The plan can be seen in "Ownership, Technology and Patterns of Coalmining Activity in Northumberland between 1600 and 1850" by Stephen James Telford.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page