Ebchester Main Colliery
2 Jun 2023
2 Jun 2023
William Coupland (1838), Consett Iron Company (1866)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - A colliery was opened on this site in 1838 by William Coupland, who obtained the "right to work the coal" in this year when the new road from Newcastle to Shotley Bridge opened. Mr Coupland later sold it to his son, who subsequently sold it to the Consett Iron Co. in 1866. Around this time the pit ceased operations. This is the first colliery in the Ebchester area as noted in the Consett Guardian of 21/10/1871.
It appears to be formed of at least two levels, but was not linked by any waggonways. The Derwent may have been utilised.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by