West Edmondsley Colliery
15 Jul 2022
15 Jul 2022
Mr. Tyzick (1850s), S. Tyzac & Co. (1860s), Edmondsley Coal Co. (1880s)
Description (or HER record listing)
"Edmondsley Village is situated on the Durham Road, about five miles north-north-west of Durham, and three south-west of Chester-le-Street. A little to the west of the village is a colliery carried on by the Edmondsley Coal Company. The seams now worked are the "Hutton" and "Busty," of 3 and 5 feet thick, at a depth of 60 and 100 fathoms respectively. The annual output is 150,000 tons, about one-third of which is converted into coke, and the average number of hands employed is 350, including those engaged at the coke-ovens, of which there are 112 erected."
Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by