Old Durham Colliery
Lord Ernest Pit
13 Oct 2022
13 Oct 2022
Lord Londonderry (1849)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - Old Durham Colliery was a small working to the south west of Old Durham which worked for around 30 years. It was connected by two single track waggonways. The first was a small tramway to a coal depot at Bent House, presumably for distribution to the wider communities and Bent House itself. The second waggonway east was its main connection to the railway network, adjoining at Sherburnhouse to the North Eastern Railway. It was a fairly small working, with a main building enclosing the shaft and a few auxiliary buildings and a powder magazine. There was also a slag heap in the south west of the site.
A small terrace can be seen on the 1850s map, likely providing accommodation to workers.
The 1890s map shows the site was disused by 1895. The shaft and terraces lingered through the 1940s until Craig's Quarry swallowed up some of the site. Nowadays there's little to be seen, those the main lane to the pit remains as farm access.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by