top of page
full size.png

du03a

Durham Main Colliery

Durham

54.785501, -1.575268

Crook Hall Colliery

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

1924

Entry Created:

20 Oct 2022

Last Updated:

20 Oct 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

J. Lishman & Co. (1880s), Framwellgate Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1900s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"At Durham Main Colliery, by Lishman & Co., are worked the "Hutton," 3 ft. 6 in. at 20 fathoms ; and the "Low Main" of 2 ft. 8 in. is worked from the same level as the Hutton but reached through by a hitch."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum

NEHL - This was a medium size working adjoining both the East Coast Main Line and a small tramway leading to a coal depot on the riverside. There is no visible trace of the working left apart from legacy slag heaps.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page