top of page
full size.png

DO002

Brancepeth Colliery

Willington

54.732754, -1.691312

Oakenshaw Colliery

B Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1855

1967

Entry Created:

4 Apr 2022

Last Updated:

4 Apr 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Strakers & Love (1860s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

"The colliery at Oakenshaw is the property of Messrs. Straker & Love, where the "Brockwell" seam 3 ft. thick, is met at a depth of 70 fathoms, the produce of which is conveyed by an incline line to the coke ovens at the Brancepeth Colliery. This pit, which employs 500 men and boys, is ventilated by a 30 ft. Guibal fan."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham, retrieved from Durham Mining Museum

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Oakenshaw Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Oakenshaw Colliery, undated. Source: Aditnow

Oakenshaw Colliery, undated. Source: Aditnow

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page