full size.png

D875

Thornley Colliery

Thornley

54.748743,-1.432148

Opened:

1835

Closed:

1970

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

20 Jan 2022

Owners: 

John Gully & Partners (1835), Sir William Chaytor & Co. (1840s), Thornley Coal Co. (1850s), London Steam Colliery & Coal Co. [later Original Hartlepool Collieries Co.] (1865), Weardale Iron & Coal Co. Ltd (1885), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This is the site of an engine house of Thornley Colliery. It contained a steam driven engine that would drive the lift that brought men to and from the surface, from a depth of about 300m. The colliery closed in 1970, after which the site was used for a coal washery. This finally ceased operation in 1976 and the site was cleared in the late 1970s.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Thornley Colliery, 1920. Source: Jamie Groom via wheatleyhill.com

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0