top of page
full size.png

D8341

Iveston Colliery

Iveston

54.851537,-1.795919

Opened:

Closed:

1839

1892

Entry Created:

17 Jan 2022

Last Updated:

26 Feb 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Black, Reay & Co. (1839), Jonathan Richardson & Partners (1857), Consett Iron Co. Ltd (1860s)

Description (or HER record listing)

This colliery is specifically noted in a gazetteer of the archaeological and historical sites of the area. Such sites used to be common in the north of England - these are now of archaeological interest, in some cases little remaining of entire sites on the surface.

NEHL - Iveston Colliery was a short lived working on the west of the village. It was connected directly with the railways into Consett via a branch line to Watling Street. The working was surrounded on its west by old drift mines, potentially related and were also in situ from before the 1860s.

No specific settlement built up around the pit, so it's likely workers came in by train from Consett or lived at Iveston itself.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Iveston Colliery after closure in 1892, featuring its timber screens. Source: Beamish Museum Collections

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page