1 Nov 2021
17 Apr 2023
Ferens & Love (1860s)
Description (or HER record listing)
Cornsay Colliery was an extensive complex at the south of Cornsay village, hosting both a main pit site and a number of drifts around the village. It was opened in 1868 by Ferens & Love.
Coal was converted by coke in extensive coke ovens on the site, which can be seen in the photos and maps below. There were 270 in total on the south end of the site. There was also a brick and tile works thanks to the fine resources in the area to produce high quality fireclay.
Two buildings remain, one previously used as a school, the other as a general office for the nearby brickworks.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Postcard of Cornsay Colliery, undated. A Ferens & Love wagon can be seen, meaning the photo is pre-NCB days.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Photograph of the drift at Cornsay. This was directly connected to the main complex via a tramway that led about 20 metres south. The photograph dates from 2013, and shows the drift leading under the terraces which have since been demolished.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by