full size.png

D779F

Beamish Colliery

Beamish

54.878909,-1.650165

Sixth Pit

Opened:

1832

Closed:

Unknown

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

18 Oct 2021

Owners: 

Sir. J. Eden (1780s - 1830s), John Murton Davidson (1830s - 1850s), James Joicey & Co (1850s - 1924), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. (1924 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This is the site of a 19th century colliery. A winding engine dating to 1855 can still be seen in its original stone-built building.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0