full size.png

D779C

Beamish Colliery

Beamish

54.876666,-1.675421

Fifth Pit

Reclaimed

Last Updated:

18 Oct 2021

Owners: 

Sir. J. Eden (1780s - 1830s), John Murton Davidson (1830s - 1850s), James Joicey & Co (1850s - 1924), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. (1924 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info

This is the site of a 19th century colliery. A winding engine dating to 1855 can still be seen in its original stone-built building.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0