18 Oct 2021
Grange Coal Co.
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Low Grange colliery, with associated coke works, is shown on the 1857 O.S. map and belonged to the Low Grange Estate that flourished during the 19th century under the Vane Tempest Stewarts. By 1867, it had been replaced by the Grange Foundry, which existed until 1926. The site was located alongside the Gilesgate goods line near its junction with the 'old main line' between Newcastle and Darlington, and later became the terminus of a tramway that brought coal from the Low Grange drift mine below Woodwell House. Today, the site is occupied by the municipal caravan park adjacent to Maureen Terrace.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.