Lady Adelaide Pit
21 Oct 2021
21 Oct 2021
Lady F.A Vane Londonderry (1850s), Charles Bell (1860s), Broomside Coal Co. (1880s)
Description (or HER record listing)
Only the un-reclaimed, naturalising spoil heap of the Londonderry family's Broomside Colliery remains at the site of the pit sunk in 1829 in Pittington Parish, and which closed around 1890. It stood alongside tracks, which by 1839 had become part of the Sunderland and Durham Railway. Only four miners' houses stood on the site; the rest of its workers were housed half a mile distant at the purpose-built village of Broomside, located at first in St. Giles Parish, then in Belmont Parish after its formation in 1852. The route along which the miners walked to work survives today as a right of way. The colliery features in T.H.Hair's 'Sketches From Coal Mines' of 1840.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Broomside Colliery, Thomas Hair. Source: jimscott.co.uk
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by