top of page
full size.png

D66953

Dawdon Colliery

Seaham

54.823112,-1.322379

Dawdon Beach Colliery

Opened:

Closed:

1907

1991

Entry Created:

2 Nov 2021

Last Updated:

4 Jan 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Londonderry Collieries Ltd. (1899 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Dawdon Colliery was a late addition to the portfolio of pits on the Durham coast. The 6th Marquess of Londonderry enacted the sinking of the pit due to it being increasingly expensive to exploit the 19th century shafts which were no longer fit for purpose. It was located directly south of Seaham, with an expansive complex with at least a dozen sidings, pit reservoir full of pumped out water as well as cliff drops - presumably for ditch waste.

A pit village was built, peaking at 20 streets to accommodate the 3800 miners that ended up working here at its peak in 1930. A recreation ground was also located nearby, as well as a reading room and pit baths.

Ordnance Survey, 1922

Ordnance Survey, 1922

Dawdon Colliery, 1934. Source: Britain from Above

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Dawdon Colliery, August 1990. Courtesy of Des & Andy Kelly, please do not reuse without permission

Dawdon Colliery, August 1990. Courtesy of Des & Andy Kelly, please do not reuse without permission

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page