top of page
full size.png

D65440

Merrington Colliery

Spennymoor

54.699808,-1.614132

Spennymoor Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1846

1928

Entry Created:

9 Dec 2021

Last Updated:

9 Dec 2021

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Bolckow Vaughan (1920s)

Description (or HER record listing)

There is reported to have been a an aerial ropeway running between Merrington Colliery and Page Bank, but its course is unknown.

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Ordnance Survey, 1897

1953 Carnival with disused Merrington Colliery in the background. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page