2 Dec 2021
Stobart, Bell & Co. (1850s), Earl of Durham (1860s), Lambton Collieries Ltd. (1896), Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd. (1910s), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. (1940s), National Coal Board (1947)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
'Here is a colliery, worked by the Earl of Durham, known as Lumley Six Pit, re-opened about thirty years ago, after being closed for many years. The following seams are worked :- The Five Quarter at a depth of 43½ fathoms, and 3 feet 7 inches in thickness. Low Main 77 fathoms, 4 feet thick, and the Hutton 91 fathoms, and 5 feet thick. The Main coal is worked out ; The Maudlin, Brass Thill, and Three Quarter seams are here, but are not worked. The pit is ventilated by two furnaces, and 900 gallons of water per minute are pumped to the surface. The present output is about 800 tons per day, giving employment to about 500 men and boys.
Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham'
Retrieved from Durham Mining Museum
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Lumley Colliery 3rd Pit, undated. Source: Lumley Colliery, Facebook
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.