top of page
full size.png

D60119

Leasingthorne Colliery

Coundon

54.666492,-1.607991

No. 1 Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1836

1967

Entry Created:

29 Nov 2021

Last Updated:

29 Nov 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Messrs. King, Mearse & Campion (1836), James Reid (1841), Andrew Spottiswoode (1845), Messrs. Backhouse & Co. (1840s), Nicholas Wood & Co. (1856), Black Boy Coal Co. (1860s), Bolckow Vaughan (1870s), Dorman Long (1929), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Pit sunk in 1836 by Messrs. King, Mearse and Campion. Ownership changed several times throughout the nineteenth century before becoming part of the National Coal Board. The colliery worked several seams and merged with the Dean and Chapter Colliery in the 1950s before closing in 1967 (1-3).

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Leasingthorne Colliery after closure. Source: Chris Cleasby, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page