top of page
full size.png

D5924D

Hamsteels Colliery

Esh Winning

54.802194,-1.717379

Harvey Drift

Opened:

Closed:

1868

1958

Entry Created:

15 Nov 2021

Last Updated:

15 Nov 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Messrs. R. S. Johnson & T. M. Reay (1867), Owners of Hamsteels Collieries (1860s), Sir S. A. Sadler Ltd. (1910s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Hamsteels Colliery was founded at some time between 1860 and 1880 on the site of (Esh tileworks D5784) (1) (2) (3) (4). Several drifts into the hill to the north are connected to the main works by wagonways. A small, rectangular colliery village lies to the north-west, and a number of coke ovens stood to the south.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page