full size.png


Hamsteels Colliery

Esh Winning


Hall Harvey Drift


Last Updated:

15 Nov 2021


Messrs. R. S. Johnson & T. M. Reay (1867), Owners of Hamsteels Collieries (1860s), Sir S. A. Sadler Ltd. (1910s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info

Hamsteels Colliery was founded at some time between 1860 and 1880 on the site of (Esh tileworks D5784) (1) (2) (3) (4). Several drifts into the hill to the north are connected to the main works by wagonways. A small, rectangular colliery village lies to the north-west, and a number of coke ovens stood to the south.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us


Historic Maps provided by


Version 1.0