15 Nov 2021
Messrs. R. S. Johnson & T. M. Reay (1867), Owners of Hamsteels Collieries (1860s), Sir S. A. Sadler Ltd. (1910s), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Hamsteels Colliery was founded at some time between 1860 and 1880 on the site of (Esh tileworks D5784) (1) (2) (3) (4). Several drifts into the hill to the north are connected to the main works by wagonways. A small, rectangular colliery village lies to the north-west, and a number of coke ovens stood to the south.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us