Esh Winning Colliery
8 Nov 2021
Joseph Pease & Partners (1866), National Coal Board (1947 -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Esh Winning Colliery was begun in 1866 and had a drift and a shaft. By 1939 the drift entrance was unused. Before the colliery was built the land was open country and woodland. The colliery closed in 1968. A number of coke ovens stood at the site. They were served by a wagonway which joined the nearby railway. They were demolished by 1939.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.