Black Boy Colliery
Auckland Park Colliery
18 Oct 2021
Black Boy Coal Co. (1863 - 1872), Bolckow, Vaughan & Co. (1872 - 1929), Dorman Long (1929 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Black Boy Colliery (Machine Pit) is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1857. By 1899 the Colliery has grown exponentially and is labelled 'Auckland Park Colliery'. The colliery appears to have remained active until the 1970s when it was landscaped.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Auckland Park Colliery, date unknown. Source: The History of Bishop Auckland, undated.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us