full size.png

D4736A

Wingate Grange Colliery

Wingate

54.728270,-1.385569

Lady Pit/Lord Pit

Opened:

1839

Closed:

1962

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

21 Jan 2022

Owners: 

Lord Howden & Partners (1839), John Gulley (1860s), Wingate Grange Coal Co. (1880s), Wingate Coal Co. Ltd. (1940s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

In 1839 Wingate Grange Colliery was begun with the sinking of the Lord Pit by Lord Howden and Partners. The shaft was sunk that year to work the Hutton Seam, boring below this also proved the presence of the Harvey Seam. These were two of the seven seams worked from Lord Pit and Lady Pit between 1839 and the colliery's closure in 1962. At its height, in 1914, the colliery employed 1486 people working the Hutton, Harvey, Low Main and Main coal seams, the coal was shipped to London from Hartlepool. Wingate Grange was owned in 1914 by the Wingate Grange Coal Co. who had acquired it from Lord Howden. It later passed to the Wingate Coal Co. and was owned by the National Coal Board (NCB) when it closed in 1962.

The 1st Edition of the Ordnance Survey map c.1856 shows Wingate Grange Colliery covering a large area to the south-west of the town of Wingate. Also shown is the rail network that served the colliery, a branch of the Hartlepool Railway begun c.1837, terraced housing and a colliery school.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0