21 Oct 2021
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
This is the site of Broom Colliery. It was out of use by 1898. Visible earthworks can still be seen in the area. A wagon way appears to have lead south and joined a railway running east to Ferryhill Station. The remains of two shafts can be seen. Broom Cottages to the north of this site may well have been connected to the mine.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.