North Pittington Colliery
Lady Seaham Pit
26 Nov 2021
Lady F. A. Vane Londonderry (1850s), North Hetton & Co. (1860s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
The Lady Seaham Pit was sunk in 1836 and is shown as active on Ordnance Survey maps of the 1860s and 1890s (1). The maps show a large circular spoil heat with pit buildings to the immediate north-west. The Ordnance Survey map of 1923 shows the pit as 'disused' with the buildings demolished by 1951 (1). The pit was served by a short spur of railway line named the Lady Seaham Branch. In 2013 a geophysical survey of the field containing the pit was conducted (E47350). This revealed numerous ferrous anomalies consistent with the former industrial use (2).
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.