23 Mar 2022
23 Mar 2022
Easington Coal Co. (1899), National Coal Board (1947), British Coal (1986)
Description (or HER record listing)
The growth of Easington colliery in the early 20th century led to major changes in the area. Easington Colliery is perhaps best known for a tragic mining disaster in 1951, when 83 men were killed after an explosion in the pit. A decorated screen and altar was placed in the Church of Ascension as a memorial to these men. A garden of remembrance was also built in Easington Cemetery. Although the mines shut in 1993 the area is still clearly a coal mining area, and some of the popular film 'Billy Elliot' was filmed in Easington Colliery Village.
Many of the men of Easington Colliery and Easington Colliery Village served in the First World War. They are commemorated on a memorial roll of honour in the church of the Ascension as well as on a memorial cross in the cemetery along with the names of those who served in WW2. A number of shipwrecks dating to the First World War can be found off the coast of Easington Colliery. Some of these including the Rhodesia and the Watchful were stopped by German submarines, the crew forced to abandon ship before the vessels were scuttled with explosive charges. At least one of them, the Azira, was directly hit by a torpedo and sunk as a result.
Ordnance Survey, 1953
Easington Colliery, date unknown. Source: Simon Chapman via University of Wolverhampton
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Easington Colliery and housing, 1986. Source: Keys to the Past
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by