full size.png

D4070

Aykley Heads Colliery

Durham

54.783608,-1.579591

Opened:

1880s

Closed:

1949

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

18 Oct 2021

Owners: 

Framwellgate Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1990s - 1930s), Aykley Heads Coal Co. Ltd., Galgate Ltd., Witton Gilbert Colliery Co. Ltd.

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This is the site of the drift mine run by Aykley Heads coal company. It is now the site of Durham Art Gallery. The entrance to the mine is now an ornamental lake.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Brickwork Chimney of Aykley Heads Colliery, date unknown. Source: Billy Mollon

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0