top of page
full size.png

D40149

Blackhall Colliery

Blackhall

54.749655,-1.284561

Opened:

Closed:

1909

1981

Entry Created:

20 Oct 2021

Last Updated:

4 Jan 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Horden Collieries Ltd. (1909 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Blackhall Colliery was a relatively late addition to the pits on the County Durham coast. A sizeable pit village was constructed next to the colliery with a public house and school featuring from the outset. The colliery itself featured an aerial ropeway to tip waste into the sea.

It was connected directly to the Durham Coast Line, with coals shipped at Hartlepool.

Ordnance Survey, 1922

Ordnance Survey, 1922

Blackhall Colliery, 1970. Source: Ben Brooksbank

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Blackhall Colliery in July 1986. Courtesy of Des & Andy Kelly, do not reuse without permission.

Blackhall Colliery in July 1986. Courtesy of Des & Andy Kelly, do not reuse without permission.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page