full size.png

D3969

Broompark Colliery

Bearpark, Durham

54.768164,-1.613798

Reclaimed

Last Updated:

21 Oct 2021

Owners: 

North Brancepeth Coal Co. Ltd. (1870s)

HER Info

This coal mine never began production of coal. It caught fire on the 8th August 1904 and many of the buildings were destroyed. Rather than rebuilding these remains the coal was mined from the nearby Littleburn Colliery. The site of the colliery is now occupied by the County Council's Broompark picnic site.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Broompark Colliery, undated. Source: broompark.wordpress.com

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0