full size.png

D3841

Vane Tempest Colliery

Seaham

54.844770,-1.341027

Opened:

1926

Closed:

1993

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

21 Jan 2022

Owners: 

Londonderry Collieries Ltd. (1926), National Coal Board (1947), British Coal (1986)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This colliery was developed by the Londonderry Colliery Company between 1923 and 1928. The mine stretched out underneath the North Sea. The pit was closed in 1992 and demolished in 1994.

Ordnance Survey, 1966/67

Ordnance Survey, 1966/67

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Vane Tempest Colliery, undated. Source: Vane Tempest Colliery, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0