6 Dec 2021
Mainsforth Coal Co. (1873), Carlton Iron Co. (1894), Dorman Long (1923), National Coal Board (1947 -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Mainsforth Colliery was sunk in 1872 but left unused until 23 years later due to flooding. It was owned by Dorman Long & Co in 1923 and closed in 1968. There were two pits.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Mainsforth Colliery, undated. Source: Michael Musgrave, Facebook
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.