top of page
full size.png

D3619

Shincliffe Colliery

Shincliffe

54.755272,-1.539174

Opened:

Closed:

1839

1875

Entry Created:

12 Jan 2022

Last Updated:

12 Jan 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

William Bell (1830s), Bell, Backhouse & Davison (1850s), Joseph Lowe (1860s)

Description (or HER record listing)

This is the site of a coal mine sunk in 1837. Mining continued until 1875 when operations ceased, possible due to seams running out. Company housing was located close to the colliery for miners and there families - in 1872 there were 282 miners.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page