top of page
full size.png

D2998

Cassop Vale Colliery

Cassop

54.745100, -1.486033

Opened:

Closed:

1840

1877

Entry Created:

22 Oct 2021

Last Updated:

4 Aug 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

R. P. Philipson, Edward Robinson & Co. (1870s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Cassop Vale Colliery was for a stage the terminus of the Cassop Waggonway north westwards, but later was the central point of the link between the Old Durham Waggonway at Sherburnhouse and Cassop.

The pit was opened around 1840, and in 1857 featured a number of ancillary buildings. This was likely the pit at its greatest extent. There was a number of sidings to accomodate coal wagons which was transported to Hartlepool for first shipment.

There were two shafts, which are both illustrated as old on the 1890s maps. There was also a pit row on the north east of the site, which were extant some decades after closure. The track was lifted by this point.

In 2023, some pit heaps and earthworks are still extant. The line is entirely traversable.

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Site of Cassop Vale Colliery in 2023

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

The waste heaps shown are at least 150 years old, lying in situ between the trees in 2023

The waste heaps shown are at least 150 years old, lying in situ between the trees in 2023

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page