full size.png

D2995

Fishburn Colliery

Sedgefield

54.680473,-1.441227

Redeveloped

Last Updated:

8 Nov 2021

Owners: 

Henry Stobart & Co. Ltd (1910), National Coal Board (1947)

HER Info

Fishburn Colliery was opened in 1910 and was owned by Henry Stobart & Co. Ltd., until nationalisation in 1947. At it's peak, in terms of employment, there were 1,522 people working at the colliery in 1935 (1,219 working below gound and 303 working on the surface). In the early 1950s a coking plant was built next to the colliery. Fishburn Colliery closed on the 30th of November 1973. (Sitelines)

Ordnance Survey, 1923

Ordnance Survey, 1923

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Fishburn Colliery, 1973. Source: Stanley Howe, Geograph

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0